March 9 – 13, 2016 ~ 4 nights in Oceanfront Butler Suite
Sandals Whitehouse is a beautifully laid out resort, with three European Villages, Italian, Dutch & French, along a 2-mile stretch of beach. Whitehouse is Jamaica’s only all-beachfront resort. Once entering the property, it really does feel as though you’ve stepped into a village, with shops, restaurants, and cafes.
All of the Sandals resorts we have been to are so detail-oriented and have so much thought put into the layout of each and every resort. They all have some similarities but are still quite unique. Each and every resort we’ve visited is very well maintained, clean, and beautifully landscaped, with excellent service and friendly workers, every detail is carefully planned, and we have not been to a single resort that we were not happy with.
Whitehouse, Jamaica was our 7th Sandals Resort Vacation
(So if there’s any questions you may have about any of the resorts we’ve visited, I would be happy to answer if I can)
Arriving at MBJ airport & the trip to the resort
Our arrival was a breeze this time, no long waits getting though immigration and customs. Be sure to have your form filled out, once we got off the plane there were workers checking they were complete and this is when they allowed us to go to the kiosks instead of standing in the line. (they have these kiosks now so some people can scan their passports it made getting through immigration so much quicker) (this trip anyway; we’ve been before where the line was up to an hour wait. We’ve also used the club mobay and it was so worth it to fast track through the lines. I guess it depends when your arriving. We arrived at 1245 on a Wednesday and it was quick)
Once getting through customs you go to baggage claims get your luggage and then go to the line to get through immigration check (this is where they take your immigration/customs form)
A perk to Sandals resort is all airports have a Sandals lounge so after getting through the immigration line you head straight to the sandals lounge. It makes arriving to the island stress free and take the guess work out of what do I do now when arriving in a foreign country!! No searching for a transfer bus, taxi or anyone pestering you for money or your business. They leave you alone when you are with Sandals.
Sandals employees will be waiting for you, they tag your bags and tell you to wait in the lounge to grab a drink and they will call for you soon for your transfer to the resort.
(the airport workers, fellas wanting to help you with your bags can be relentless. They want to help and they want a tip. Sandals does allow then to carry the bags to the transfer bus for you and they will let you know that they don’t work for the resort and that they work for tips, we do give a few dollars to the guy loading our luggage onto the bus then)
*Only negative of the whole trip was the 1 hour and 20 minute ride through the center of Jamaica through windy, bumpy, small roads on a bus with approx.. 10 other people! (yeah if you get car sick you may want to take Dramamine!)
Arriving at the resort
You step off the transfer shuttle to be greeted by staff with a cold lavender wash cloth to freshen up. They then take your luggage’s, get your name, and either take you to the front desk to check in our if you have a concierge or butler suite then they will escort you to the Concierge lounge, where you can sit down relax, they offer you a drink of your choose and seamlessly get you check in and to your room in no time (when checking in they do ask for a credit card. They do not charge anything to your card, this so that you are able to make purchases on resort, at the resort store, excursions, spa or any specialty items you may purchase.)( this is so nice because you never have to carry any money with you on resort (why choose sandals -read about tipping)
Our friends were delayed getting their room and once their room was ready they misplaced their luggage. (something about they switched their rooms because one wasn’t ready and then they weren’t sure where they were! They found them within 40 mins. But none the less still a little annoying when all you want to do is throw on a bikini and hit the beach!! But Sandals staff took care of them, they were in a non-concierge room (which check out my other post on the differences of services you can get, ‘Why choose a Sandals Resort”, blog post), and they provided them with a bottle of champagne in their room, a plate of appetizers, with a apology note, and a $50 gift card for the Resort store)
I loved Café de Paris! It was so cute! (see below the inside of the café with pastries, crêpe, coffee and tea) It a touch of Paris in the Caribbean.
Coffee, Pastries, Cookies, Ice Cream, Smoothies…
Eating at Sandals Whitehouse, Jamaica
We were only here 4 nights but we were able to eat a different restaurant every night and we usually ate lunch somewhere, so the only one we did not try was Jasmines. The food was delicious! Honestly I don’t have anything bad to say about any of the food.
Seven extraordinary restaurants at Sandal’s Whitehouse Resort
- Giuseppe’s – A cozy Italian restaurant with inviting indoor and outdoor seating. From pizza and pasta, to tempting desserts
- Jasmines’s – Specializing in pan-Asian cuisine
- Café de Paris – Parisian-style patisserie with pastries, crêpe, coffee, tea, and more
- Eleanors – Representing the best in the rich, flavorful that the Caribbean is known for
- Bayside Restaurant – During the day for buffet-style breakfast and lunch; and dining by night for a delicious a la carte dinner
- Blue field’s Beach Club – A laid-back beachside grill serving traditional Jamaican fare
- Neptune’s – A Mediterranean seafood restaurant along side the beach (we visited here nightly for late night snacks!)
- The Jerk Chicken Shack – Traditional and Contemporary Jerk Style Cuisine beachside
All of your food is included! Seriously, you could eat as much as you wanted, as many times as you wanted, at any given time something is always open ! You will not go with lack of food at Sandals resorts!
Here’s is a bit of an idea of what we ate:
- Giuseppe’s – Italian food – mostly pasta – we had the chicken alfredo and chicken parmesan, anti-pesto bar and tiramisu for dessert, everything was delicious. Lunch at Giuseppe’s – oven brick pizzas, so yummy!!
- Eleanor’s – Steak
- Neptune’s – I had the tuna
- Bluefield’s – lunch, hamburgers jerk chicken quesadillas, hot dogs, etc. (this was my least favorite, I had the jerk chicken which was a patty)
- Jerk Chicken – as the name implies! We had jerk chicken!
- *late night snacks at Neptune’s for those who party to hard!!
- Café De Paris – We had coffee, so good. Ice Cream was yummy!
Drinks!! ~ you name it you can have it!! Except different beers!! Only Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light here! Wine, frozen drinks like Jamaican kiss and Dirty Bananas, Mojitos, Mimosas, Champagne, beer, top shelf tequila, vodka, whisky, etc. (we drank plenty of Red Stripe Light and Champagne!!) and Martinis at the piano bar!In Room fully stocked Mini-Bars and refrigerators loaded with drinks, beer, mixers, and bottled water!
Not all rooms have a mini bar ‘see blog post (coming soon) why choose Sandals; concierge service & butler service’
Activities at Sandals Whitehouse, Jamaica
You will find a wide range of activities waiting for you at Sandals Whitehouse, one of the most beautiful all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica: land-based sports such as tennis, volleyball, outdoor chess and shuffle board, billiards, and every board game imaginable. Watersports include sailing, scuba diving, windsurfing, waterskiing, kayaking, a glass bottom boat… and more. At night, the energy level kicks up a notch with shows at a magnificent amphitheater, opulent beach parties or at the lively piano bar.
This was a pretty laid back relaxing trip for us. We didn’t do much, mostly relaxing on the beach on comfy lounge chairs with a cooler of beverages (provided and set up by the Butler, more on this later)! As Sandals would call it ‘ Chillaxin’ Chill + Relax = Chillaxin’!!
There is so much room on the beach, it’s never crowded you never feel like your crammed up next to someone. The 2-mile stretch of beach makes it feel like you have your own little private portion of the beach.
After our long days on the beach, we would head back to our rooms to get ready for dinner. Every night we would have a delicious meal and then head to the piano bar to listen to the awesome music and then after that dance to the DJ!
We really did have a great time!
Dancing at the Martini Bar!
For dress: ( travel tips: what to pack on your next Sandal Resort Vacation blog post coming soon) First I packed way too much!! During the day we were in our bathing suits all day with a cover up to go to lunch and then in the evenings I took nice casual dresses for dinner, this was not a requirement to all the restaurants as some were casual, but I don’t get much of an oppourtunity to dress up so I wanted to!
Here are some more pictures of Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica:
Highlights from our Sandals Vacation
- The beach of course ~ the option of having something to do or doing nothing at all! This trip we chose the nothing at all!! And the stretch of beach here was beautiful and so spacious!
- Cafe de Paris ~ I thought this little quant cafe was so cute!
- The food ~ all the food at this resort was excellent, so many chooses and not one of us got anything bad.
- The butler service ~ excellent service from the butlers. They do an amazing job, basically anything you would ask of them. You are provided a phone to reach them at any time. We mostly use them for reserving beach chairs, a cooler of beer and champagne throughout the day, and dinner reservations.
- The drinks ~ you name it they pretty much have it and its all included.
- Martini Bar: Piano hour and Disco/DJ at 11pm where we danced the night away. We have to admit it’s a little tough staying up this late. After being on the beach all day, having dinner you are pretty tired, we had to push through a couple of evenings after dinner when we were relaxing on sofas by the fire pits or lounging on the comfy sofas outside at the Martini bar, we almost didn’t make it, but I am so glad we did, it was so much fun and well worth it!
- Sandals puts on some awesome shows and at Whitehouse they had a place just for shows and entertainment at the amphitheater. We didn’t see any though so I cannot review on these! We were with friends on this trip and just enjoyed each other’s company hanging out in the evenings.
- I did not visit the gym or spa this trip, but the fitness center at Sandals resorts is top notch. They also have different aerobic and physical activities scheduled throughout the day. Like, water aerobics, dance contests, etc.
- The peacocks were gorgeous!
My Final Review of Sandals Resort Whitehouse, Jamaica
First and foremost, we love Sandals Resorts! They are by far the cleanest, most beautiful resorts we’ve been to. The staff is always so friendly and helpful. Once you get there and get settled there is nothing else to worry about, no tipping, no money to carry around, just have fun & enjoy your vacation.
This really was a beautiful, pristine resort! So beautifully laid out with the different villages. It was also very spread out so you never felt like is was crowded. The beautiful, spacious beach. Our room with a gorgeous view of the ocean and our own balcony to enjoy breakfast and coffee or evening cocktails! I loved the many options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We had fun in the evenings at the piano/martini bar. I wish however they had more options in the evening for socializing and hanging out after dinner. At many of the other Sandals Resorts they have what’s called the Crickteer Pub, we did miss something like this. My husband did not always enjoy the dancing in the evenings, he really likes the sports bar type pub atmosphere occasionally.
This trip for us was pretty laid back and we simply just relaxed. But if we had wanted to be active the watersports and activities offered at Sandals is by far the best with so many options. On one of our vacations we got our certification as a PADI Open Water Diver at the Sandals Resort in Negril Jamaica, but we did not dive this trip. My one regret this trip, I wish we would have, another time! If you are a certified diver Sandals offers your dives and equipment all included!
I did not enjoy the one and half hour trip to the resort in a crowded transfer bus along the mountainous windy roads. I’m glad I went, it was worth it, would I go again maybe, but I rather enjoy the short transfers from the airports at other locations like Bahamas (only 25 minute from airport or Montego Bay 5 mins., however Montego Bay Sandals was nothing like this beautiful resort)and then you can enjoy your resort vacation longer. But like I said this resort is beautiful and it is definately worth going, it’s a give and a take. The ride was worth it but would I do it every year probably not.
With Love, Mara
I love hearing about vacation destinations! Have you visited any of the Sandals resorts? Do you have any vacation recommendations? Or do you have any questions? Please leave your comments or send me an email.
If you would like to hear more about what’s going on at So Much Life to Live Blog, sign up for my newsletter to get all the latest updates. Do you have future dreams to go on exotic vacations? If you do, writing your goals down is proven to be successful to achieving dreams, sign up now to receive free goal card printables to print off, cut out and start writing down what you want in your life!