I used to be a big time emotional eater. I still have to be very cautious and aware of it.
I used to eat for every emotion too!! But mostly if I was sad, depressed, stressed or overwhelmed I used food for comfort, food to drown out the emotions.
So if I didn’t have it under control right now at this time in my life with all the changes taking place (my daughter graduating, my baby turning 16) I normally would have been stuffing my face with anything and everything!
It went something like this “I am so sad that my baby girls are all grown up ” sure sounded a lot like “I want chocolate, chips, candy, and beer” right now
Because for some reason we think that makes it all better when in reality it DOES NOT, it makes it all worse. Jeopardizing our own wellbeing because it turned into and endless cycle; sad=food=guilt=beating ourselves up over eating shitty=to feeling more sad=more food. Etc, etc. you get it!!
So how did I change it. How am I getting through this time in my life without stuffing my face full of junk food?
Well first I’m not a saint on healthy eating, I am not perfect, I still slip up and I still make poor choices sometimes. But I am 95%better at handling my emotional eating.
My top ten ways to handle my emotional eating
1. I recognize what is going on. So, when my emotions are all crazy I acknowledge them and am very cautious of my choices
2. When I’m tempted I ask myself if I’m really hungry or if it’s my emotions talking. 9 times out of 10 it’s my emotions and then I ask myself if eating whatever I’m about to eat will make it better. By doing this I realize it won’t and I remember the endless cycle of it and realize it will only making it worse
3. I still do my workouts. I use my workouts as an outlet, as therapy instead of food.
4. I stick to my healthy eating routine and the foods I would generally eat. I don’t skip meals, this only leads to me feeling more tempted to binge on junk food.
5. I journal/write. This helps me so much to process my feelings and get the thoughts out of my head
6. If I feel like crying, I cry. If I’m overwhelmed, I step away from whatever is that’s overwhelming me and regroup. (Like walk, music, prayer, read a positive book or message) So I acknowledge the feeling and except it instead of trying to ignore it.
7. I have found something I am passionate about and love to do, coaching has given me a sense of purpose & I feel fulfilled. So, when I’m sad about the girls growing up I have found something to fill the emptiness. So, find something you love to do, pursue a new hobby, pursue a dream. When you have a sense of purpose it gives you something to focus on instead getting lost in your emotions.
8. I’ve learned to be kind to myself. Remember that beating yourself up only makes it worse. Talking to yourself negatively only adds fuel to the fire, making your emotions worse. When you talk lovingly to yourself you have greater self-compassion and find other ways to make yourself feel better rather than with food.
9. My support & accountability groups. They aren’t just for my clients, they are so beneficial for me too. The accountability and support from the other girls is so encouraging and keeps me motivate to not want to cheat or to feed my emotions with food and derail all of my hard work. You can find out more HERE about these groups.
10. And sometimes if these don’t work and I give in to the temptation. But I don’t allow myself to lose total control and I go right back to my regular routine, I do not let it spiral out of control. I allow myself the treat, I don’t deprive myself but I do it in moderation, with control.
Of course this is not a quick fix either. Emotional eating is something that takes work and a conscious effort to control. Controlling what we eat and why is so much more than just watching calories, portions, etc…it’s more of an inside job than an outside job.
We focus on this a lot in my private support & accountability groups for your health, weight loss and fitness. It’s so much more than nutrition & fitness. To join one of these groups find out more HERE & fill out the application to claim a spot! If you struggle with emotional eating I would love for you to join us because if we can’t get control of this we will never lose the weight or get control of our health. Join me to gain back control of your life, food does not have to control you.